Birds are king to me…
Over the last few days I’ve been getting some random thoughts about things so I’ve been writing them down. I also came across some neat quotations I’d like to share with you all.
- Something that bugs me. Why is it just because I have five kids do people always ask me, “How do you do it? How do you have the time?” I usually get this when they find out I like to blog regularily, or create things or the fact that I have a small design business. I can’t tell you how much this aggrivates me. I get this almost all the time. It tends to make me feel as though I’m doing something I shouldn’t. It insinuates that perhaps I should be devoting myself around the clock to my family. Uh uh. No way. I can’t do that. In order to be a good, interesting, and productive mother and viable person, I have to develop my soul, nurture my interests and create a space for myself. I know of people who are ‘all kids’ and nothing else. I could never be that way. Not a chance. By the way, do you want to know how I do it? My secret is I’m not a perfectionist. I don’t do everything as well as I should, but everyone gets a piece of the mom pie, including mom. And I am here for my family all the time while I’m doing it. Just ask anyone who knows me.
- The other day my black cat snuck out. I hate when this happens. I usually never let him out because, theoretically, he is an indoor cat. He returned a few hours later and around that time we were grilling and found a freshly killed sparrow lying on the grass by the back door. I felt so sad for that little bird, seeing it lying there, still warm from the life that had just minutes before been present. Ever since I was a child, dead birds have tugged at my heart. They sadden me. I used to have little funerals for birds when I was a kid. I’d wrap the lifeless body in a little hankerchief or tissue and place it in a box with some small flowers from the garden. My friend and I would make a little hole with our sand shovel and then bury it. Even today birds are one of my favorite animals. What is yours?
- Lately I’ve had this desire to reconnect with old friends. I’ve started tracking some of them down and found that a couple of them seem apprehensive or hesitant to contact me back. I don’t think this reluctance has anything to do with me personally, rather, I think sometimes people are afraid of change, renewed relationships, or even of letting people back into their lives. I welcome old friendships. Life is so short. How can you not?
- It occured to me that self-confidence is something you project outwards and self-esteem is something you project inwards.
- Did you ever pray for something to happen and one day, by surprise quite the opposite happens? I believe this is God’s way of answering in a very loud, deliberate way. This happened to me a little over a month ago. I’ve since stopped asking God to intervene in this particuliar thing. I figured He obviously is leading the show and know’s what he thinks is best for the situation.
- To me, having a clear library card is very freeing. If I don’t have my card hosed up with fees and lost books, I have the freedom to borrow books whenever the mood hits me. Having a library that is bursting at the seams with so many choices is such a luxury to me.
- Make use of your body’s ingenious design. Move, stretch, walk and run a little every day.
- Sometimes picking your battles means letting go of a need to engage in them.
- The real test of friendship is, can you literally do nothing with the other person? Together can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple?
- It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. Who are your 4 a.m. friends?
- Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school, but if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you haven’t learned anything.
8 thoughts on “Sunday meanderings”
Your blogs always make me smile…How do you do it? haha
One of the perks of being old is that you have learned the “Pick Your Battles Thing.”
You see the big picture.
You realize that there are things that may annoy you but they arent worthy of addressing.
Thats the thing I work hardest on, with my daughter.
She wants to spend time on things that won’t matter next week.
(Where my granddaughter is concerned)
Room not clean? Shut the freekin door and talk about things that matter.
You’ve got it right.
About that “how do you do it?” thing? Take it from someone who hears the exact opposite and always has. I came from a small family and had one of my own.
99.9% of the meaning behind those comments are admiring. Seriously. If I were you, I’d have a big old smile and say it’s complicated but really worth it and then THANK THEM, as if they just told you were an awesome CEO and they marvel at how you do it. Not only do YOU feel the good endomorphins, the ones who are complimenting you feel happy and the occasional few who really do mean it like you fear will get the damn subject changed and totally turned around on them! Teehee!
My first ever comment.
“How do you do it” is a huge compliment in my book.
Stop feeling guilty. L,C
I had bird funerals too. Most were baby birds that fell off our roof, pretty traumatic back then.
Are all you people sick? BIRD FUNERALS? Don’t you understand that it is survival of the fittest in the animal kingdom? All you bleeding hearts can’t fish, can’t hunt, can’t do anything anymore!
You are the same people that would climb a tree to put a baby bird back in the nest, it’s mother will kick it out again.
Em, what’s all this about being a well rounded person? When you were young all you wanted was to marry Larry and have TEN kids. What happened, you only have 5?
Hell, you pick your own battles, don’t let people force you into them.
That’s all I have to say for now.
I agree How do you do it is a compliment and as i was reading about the birds as sad as it is it brought back memories.
Love your thoughts and your picture! Know what you mean about tracking down old friends. Except sometimes I have found that I remember the reason we drifted apart to begin with!! 🙂 and I am thankful for my 4 am friends!!