1. For eyes that see (with the aid of some mighty strong prescription lenses, no doubt), that enable me to read books that allow me to excape to faraway places long ago.
2. For running water. I got a taste of what it’s like without it a while back. We had a plumbing problem and had to turn the water off for an hour. You don’t realize how much you use tap water till you no longer have it running from the faucets.
3. For Charlotte Bronte, who without, we wouldn’t have Jane Eyre.
4. For my coffee maker. Coffee is deliciously wonderful to me. Period.
5. For my cozy, warm bed of which I’m about to retire to. Goodnight.